Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gi Review - Padilla & Sons Gold Weave Kimono

Padilla & Sons Gold Weave Kimono. Available at http://www.matrat.us/ . Retail, $80 (white) $90 (blue).




Most of us outside of California are probably not familiar with a little company on the West coast called Padilla & Sons Kimonos that churns out some of the best kimonos to ever hit the mats. If you've been training since 1999, maybe you've heard of this company run by Joe Padilla that use to make an indestructible double weave kimono which retailed for around $60 or so. But, just as the word was spreading about how good his gis were, he stopped making them. There were several factors that caused this to happen and which required Joe's full attention, which meant he was unable to attend to his fledgling kimono business. But, there is good news for us all - Joe is back in the business and now he is also making Gold Weave kimonos. And, with the recent rise in the prices of Atama (~$46 increase on the gold weave kimonos) and Koral, Joe couldn't have got back in the game at a better time for us practitioners.

Back in February and March of 2007, Atama had really increased their prices, which was difficult for me in that I had just become quite fond of some of the Atama gis. But, I am not willing to pay their prices for future purchases. So, I started looking around the net and found that Joe Padilla was making his gis again and I wanted one. I had missed out on getting one of his gis before he stopped making them back in 2001. When I saw the price he was asking for his white Gold Weave Kimono ($80), my jaw hit the floor. I had to have one of these gis, if not for their legendary status, then to hopefully find an answer to the Atama price jack ups. Nowadays, an Atama Gold Weave retails for $145, and the Koral MKM for $144.95. In my opinion, neither gi is worth that price.

I called up Joe on the phone and we talked about the gis and I told him my height and weight (5’ 9.5”, 190 lbs.). He recommended his A3 for me. I gave him my shipping and billing info and about 4 days later his kimono showed up at my door. I’ve been wearing it every day to training since I got it, and this gi is absolutely phenomenal.

My criteria for judging the quality of a kimono and whether or not I might like it depends on (in no particular order): 1) Weight. I am not a fan of heavy gis (double weaves, etc.) and I tend to prefer Gold Weave kimonos. 2) Comfort. I don’t want a gi to be too abrasive or stiff, which can be the case with some Gold Weave kimonos. 3) Fit. The gi obviously needs to fit just right and be comfortable on my feet, in my guard, etc. And, lastly, 4) Construction. I want a gi that will last me years wearing it 3 times per week or so if need be. It should also be reinforced in critical areas with strong material. Even though I have 4 gis in the training rotation, if I really like a particular gi I want to wear it as much as possible.

Let’s start with the weight, fit and comfort of this A3 Gold Weave Kimono. It is noticeably light weight, as a good Gold Weave should be and weighs in at just under 6 lbs. For a Gold Weave, it is very soft and comparable to the Atama Mundial # 5, which was one of the softest gis I had ever worn up until this kimono. The fit of the kimono after washing and hang drying is nearly tailored and felt as if it was made just for me. The gi didn’t shrink but maybe a half inch in the sleeve length from the wash. The gi top is made of all Gold Weave material and does not have a separate skirt made of a thinner material. One topic of discussion that has been mentioned in the BJJ forums is that the sleeve cuffs are wider than most other gis (as shown in the pictures below). But, believe me, the extra width is hardly noticeable and they are not ungainly in any way. The only people that might not like these sleeves are those that prefer Gameness type sleeves. The gi top is pleasantly “un-flashy”, which is perfect for me. Joe’s logos are unobtrusive and are actually embroidered, not sewn on patches. There is a small shark on the left sleeve and his unique logo on the abdomen of the gi near the knot of your belt.

(click pics for a larger view)














The kimono has a tailored fit and is very comfortable. Shown here with my belt pulled down a bit to show the unique placement of the Padilla logo.












The sleeve length and width are comfortable and are within the CBJJ rules and guidelines for competition kimonos. You can see in this picture that even though the sleeve cuffs of this gi are wider than other kimonos, they are not baggy or unpractical.













A close up view of the embroidered logos.

The construction of the kimono, both top and bottoms, are extremely well designed and reinforced like a suit of armor in all of the critical areas. In my comparisons to the Atama and Koral gis, I was actually shocked and how well the Padilla & Sons kimono was constructed. Obviously, Joe put a tremendous amount of thought into these gis. As Joe also trains BJJ himself, I’m sure he’s had plenty of time to recognize the short comings of some of the other gis on the mats.

I took the time to take some pictures comparing the Padilla & Sons Gold Weave kimono (retail $80) to the Atama Mundial # 5 (retail $162) and the Koral MKM (retail $144.95) so you can see how the three compare to each other. In every regard, the Padilla & Sons Gold Weave Kimono is more than comparable to these other two high end gis.

(click the images for a larger view)

Kimono top comparisons:













The collar widths of the three gis are nearly identical. The collar of the Padilla kimono is similar in thickness and stiffness to that of the Atama. The collar is firm, but not cardboard stiff, and is very comfortable.













The edge of the skirts of the Atama and Koral are folded back on themselves for reinforcement. I have found that in my older gis when this edge becomes worn, it is prone to splitting and frays easily. The Padilla gi is reinforced with a separate band of canvas that is 1 3/4" wide and heavily stitched to prevent the wearing of this edge.














The hip split area of a gi is very prone to tearing. The Padilla kimono hip split is reinforced with a big wedge of canvas, where the Atama and Koral are reinforced with small pieces of extra gi material. The other hip split on the Koral MKM gi in this photo is actually torn between the wedge and the edge of the seam.















It was this particular detail that blew me away. The inside edge of the collar where it is sewn to the gi is reinforced with an extra band of canvas identical to that inside judo gis. I have included a picture of my judo gi for comparison. This reinforcement extends around collar like a yoke, covering the most highly gripped areas of the gi. This detail will greatly extend the life of the gi.














Another area of high stress. The junction in the armpit where the seams meet is a weak point that is more than adequately covered on the Padilla kimono. In contrast, look at the small reinforcement on the Koral MKM.














The back edge of the collar and the shoulder area of the gi is decently reinforced.














The ends of the sleeves receive a lot wear from pulling and gripping. Here again, Joe uses the 1 3/4" wide canvas band to strengthen the cuff edges. Atama folds the end back on itself and uses an ~ 1/2" wide band to secure the cuff. The Koral MKM is similarly constructed and due to this you can see some fraying beginning. Granted, the Koral is the oldest of the 3 gis and was purchased about 10 months ago.














At ~ 7 1/4" inches wide, the sleeve cuffs of the Padilla kimono are wider than the 6 3/4" wide Atama and the 5 3/4" wide Koral MKM. As I said before, this extra width is in no way awkward or excessive. It even helps those Ezequiel chokes flow a bit smoother, which are always a pain to get with the Koral MKM.


The pants of a kimono are often over looked by some gi companies. It seems that they pump all of their money into the top, and then stitch together a pair of pants out spare material. Not the case with these pants. These pants are made of a material very similar to the Atama pants that I have worn and loved for years. They are soft, but very durable, and come with 3 belt loops instead of the standard 2. Just like the gi top, the pants are intelligently reinforced throughout.

Kimono pants comparisons:













The pants has 3 belt loops and a standard drawstring, and are very similar to the Atama pants.














Both the Padilla and the Atama have a knee reinforcement that extend all the way from the lower thigh to the cuff of the ankle. The Koral MKM on the other hand has a smaller reinforced knee area.














Also on the ankle cuff, the 1 3/4" wide canvas band is used for reinforcement. The Koral MKM is also reinforced with a band of canvas, but the Atama pants are secured with a folded back method.














Both the Padilla pants and the Koral MKM pants are reinforced at the hip split, which is an area of stress that has been over looked by Atama.













The Padilla pants and the Atama pants have a reinforced crotch area, unlike the Koral MKM pants.


Wash and care instructions are pretty standard. When your gi arrives, there will be an envelope with the printed out care instructions inside. Basically, wash and rinse the gi in cold water either by itself or with similar colors, and allow it to hang dry.

The customer service of this company is phenomenal. If you call and leave a message or send him an email (available on the contact page), they will be returned to you. Joe is great at helping you out and truly does want to put people in a quality gi that will make them happy. He has been a pleasure to deal with.

Taken together, the gi top and pants make a perfect package that feels great on the mat. I have made the comparisons against two of the more popular and higher end kimonos on the market today for you. The Padilla & Sons Gold Weave kimono is comparable to the other gis in some areas, but by and large, is vastly superior to both the Atama Mundial # 5 and the Koral MKM in practically all of the critical areas. The attention to detail that has gone into the production of this gi is amazing. I have made up my mind on which gi company I will be using in the future. I have thankfully found my answer to the recent price increases at Atama. At $80 each, I can buy 2 Padilla & Sons Gold Weave kimonos for the price of 1 Atama Mundial # 5, and I know that the quality of the gi will be better.

Padilla & Sons Kimonos and Mat Rat also sell a Blue Gold Weave ($90), a light weight Hybrid Weave ($80), Single Weaves ($70), as well as various other training gear and clothing. Make sure you check them out at http://www.matrat.us/ and give one of these gis a try. It is sure to be one of the best gi purchases you have ever made.

~j

58 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look pretty nice. Perhaps the UM club should start ordering these instead of Atama Kimono for new students?

Jason said...

Yeah, they probably should. Joe Padilla is willing to set up wholesale accounts, but I don't know what the terms and conditions are. Give him a call and talk to him about it.

Unknown said...

even before you posted your review I had been in contact w/Joe about this same gi. we had exchanged some emails and he even called me with a different size recommendation from the first he gave me based on a comparison of a training partner of his that's similar in size to me. so based on his customer service alone, I was sold. but when I noticed you brought it to Abdula's last night, it sold me even more. once I got home last night, told the gf that I wanted one for my bday which is coming up in a couple weeks. I made the same suggestion to Abdula that you did re: possibly setting up a wholesale acct.

andrew said...

alright, i'm convinced...

read your review, and as i was recently bemoaning the inflating gi prices already, your account of this gi was just what i was looking for..

which is to say i read your review, and 10 minutes later purchased a gi.

thanks for the extensive (and convincing) review

a

Unknown said...

Thank you for this detailed review; it is the most thorough and useful gi review I've ever read and should be a template for other's gi reviews.

One question: I see that Padilla appears to sell 3 models (single weave, hybrid, and gold weave) -- what made you decide on the gold weave instead of the others?

Jason said...

Andrew,

I'm glad that you found the review helpful. Joe's gi's are awesome and there is no need to pay almost $150 from Atama and Koral anymore.

~j

Jason said...

David,

I just prefer Gold Weaves for their durability and their lightness. The idea behind the Gold weave is to be as strong as a double weave, but as light as a single weave. So, it's the best of both worlds.

Also, I'm not familiar with the Hybrid Weave style of gis, which appears to be similar to the Atama Summer Weave. I don't care for gis to be quite so thin and light.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your response, Jason. One last question: Was the Padilla gold weave much warmer to roll in than the Koral? (Some gold weaves like the Gameness Platinum Weave are hot to roll in, especially in the summer.) Thanks again.

Jason said...

David,

The Padilla is slightly warmer to roll in compared to the Koral MKM. But, this is only because the Koral MKM isn't really a Gold Weave. It's more of a single weave in thickness. But, the Padilla is very light and breathes very well. The Atama Mundial, on the other hand, doesn't breathe quite as well.

David Hearst said...

Thank you Jason for your review of this Kimono. I'm in the market for a new one and this is exactally what I was looking for. Quality and affordability! I would have never found Joe Padilla's company if not for your review. So thanks for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive review!

Steve said...

Thanks for the review. I couldn't resist ordering a new gi based entirely on your enthusiastic review.

Steve

Anonymous said...

a very great review, thank you vey much! a Padilla is going to be my next gi

Anonymous said...

Jason Clarke- you're my hero.

Jason said...

steve and forlogos,

glad you two liked the review.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this review.
Talked with Joe yesterday and ordered a GI.

Unknown said...

I received the Gi. Very nice... super light and feels very much like my Gameness Pearl. Perfect for muggy, Summer days.

I think I'm going to have to add some lasers to my sharks' heads. For some reason, it just seems like the right thing to do!

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said...

Steve^^^,

(Is the "Austin Powers referencing" Steve the same Steve with the BJJ blog?)

You're hilarious. I've actually taken my gi in to have the embroidered shark logos look more like ill tempered sea bass... with frickin' lasers on their heads! (I love those Austin Powers movies.)

I'm really glad that you like the gi. My goal with this review was to make it known to my fellow BJJ comrades that there is a locally available (USA), high quality gi that is extremely affordable ($80). Gone are the days of paying $120 - $165 for a good gi.

Steve said...

I think that's me. Thanks, Jason. I would trade humor for some legitimate skill. But maybe in 3 or 20 years I'll have both. :)

I haven't decided for sure, but I'm thinking seriously of getting a big back patch with a shark with a laser on its frickin' head and wearing this gi to the tournaments. Not many Padilla & Sons Gis around here, so I'll be the best dressed kid in the country jamboree! :D

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Jason,
Please elaborate more regarding the softness of this gi.

Jason said...

Headparrot,

I don't know how to measure softness objectively, but let me give you an example.

I hang dry all of my gis after washing. Usually this will cause your gis to be very stiff when dry. It's a trick that judo players do to make their gi harder to hold on to. When I hang dry all of my other gis (Atama Mundial #5, Koral MKM, Koral Single Weave, Atama Single Weave, and my judo gi) I can prop them up in the corner and they will stay standing due to their stiffness.

The Padilla, on the other hand, doesn't do this. It is very soft following a hang dry compared to the other gis. I think this is due to an extra step in the manufacturing process that Joe does called "normalization". Or maybe, Joe uses a higher quality fabric. I'm not sure why it is softer, but it just is. It's not like the Padilla is any thicker or thinner than an average gi. But the fabric appears to be of a higher quality.

Following a hang dry, I shake it once or twice to loosen it up and when I put it on, it's not abrasive against my skin. It is very comfortable. With my other gis, I prefer to wear a rash guard with them for more comfort.

I hope this helps.

J

Anonymous said...

Jason,
Yeah man that helps. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, here in germany it is difficult to get an good Kimono, so i start looking to all over...

Finally i found those P&S Kimono and i love it. But THEY DONT HAVE PAYPAL!!! and i dont have any cc!

Anonymous said...

Its me again :) Now thy use Paypal.

Jason said...

Anonymous from Germany,

Thanks for posting about the Paypal Update.

I hope that you like your new Padilla & Sons Kimono. I hope that it is a higher quality kimono and is at a cheaper price than some of the other kimonos you can get in your country.

Let me know what you think about it.

slideyfoot said...

I found the review through Steve's post up on MAP, and have been very happy with the gi so far - like you said, Joe gives great customer service, and ordering in the UK still only cost me $117 total.

I was just recommending these to someone else, but notice he's now run out of stock: I guess your review generated plenty of business? ;)

Anonymous said...

Really good review, thx for that ! =)

I need some advice, I have decided to order a padilla & sons gi, but I dont know which one yet..
The thing is, I want the softest and more comfortable gi, something like a bathrobe haha=)
Which gi fullfills these demands the most;
Padilla & Sons Gold weave kimono
OR
Padilla & Sons Single weave kimono

(both blue colors)

Thx for answers!
got_movez@hotmail.com

Jason said...

I would say that my single weave is softer than the gold weave. But the reason for this could be the fabric is different, or, the fact that I put my single through the dryer from time to time. It's a bit bigger than the gold weave, so I'm not worried about it shrinking. Putting it in the dryer will definitely make it softer, but will decrease the life of the gi. I think if you want soft, go with the single weave. Great gi.

Vincent said...

so www.matrat.us = joe padilla's site? I'm not sure because it says mat rat, yet the logo is suppose to be a shark...

when ordering can i just call

MatRat.us
6285 E. Spring St. 375N
Long Beach, California 90808
United States

Phone: 562-714-1993

and order it there?

Btw great review, i was gonig to get a koral but now its obvious i should get padilla's although its all sold out now. Thanks for the extensive review, i'm looking forward to more!

Jason said...

yes, www.matrat.us = joe padilla's website. the kimonos are pictured right on the homepage.

also, click "shop online" and the gis will show up at the bottom of the page.

if you have questions you can call joe and he will help you out.

glad you like the review.

James said...

Jason, does the gi have a seam running down the back like HCK's do?

Thanks

PS: I asked you loads of questions about this gi when you posted your review up on the JJgear forum, really appreciated your answers.

Vincent said...

have you heard anything or have experience with fuji gi's?

Jason said...

Vincent,

I have no experience with Fuji gis. To the best of my knowledge, Fuji is a spin-off/subsidiary of Isami gis. Isami is a very good Judo gi company in Japan that sometimes has it's gis made in China. Fuji does make a cheap Judo gi and a cheap BJJ gi. Fuji is primarily known for making TKD/Karate gis. Many companies that focus on these traditional martial arts (TMAs) are beginning to make BJJ and Judo gis in light of the increased popularity of these arts and are not yet committed to the practioners.

I would recommend that when choosing a BJJ or Judo gi, that you stick with the companies that have been making them for a while. It doesn't seem to matter much (yet) whether the company is big (Atama, Koral) or small (Padilla & Sons, Sirius). The big companies don't seem to invest much money ($$$) in research & development of their product. Yet, the small companies tend to have owners that are actively training/competing, and that seems to be their R&D proving ground.

In terms of the small grassroots companies, like Padilla & Sons, Joe Padilla is a brown belt in BJJ and knows a thing or two about what makes a good BJJ gi. I value his input more than any other gi manufacturer. True, the guy who owns Koral is a BJJ black belt, but I still don't care much for his over priced gis. There seems to be a difference between what Americans seek in quality versus the Brazilian market in terms of a gi. Not to mention that all of the Brazilian manufactures have increased their prices. In light of the dropping American dollar, it makes sense financially to buy locally and avoid importing these over priced products.

These may not be answers to your question. But my answer would actually be to steer clear of gi companies that cater to the TMAs. Fuji, being a possible spin-off of Isami may be an exception. But, as far as I'm concerned, Fuji is good if you want cheap and could care less about quality. However, if you want low cost and high quality, go with an American made company where the owners are actual BJJ practitioners like Padilla & Sons. They know what it takes to make a good gi, your business directly impacts their livelihood and thtat means that they care about their product.

~J

Vincent said...

I was going to get a fuji because it was cheaper at 60 dollars and one or two people said hintly that it was good, and it is also single weave. The three gi's that i was looking at was padillas, sirius, and fuji. i originally wanted to get a padilla but they are sold out online, and sirius is a little bit more, and fuji was well fuji. and the sirius sweater i got is VERY VERY nice quality, its so soft inside and out and for only 34 dollars. So i guess i'll get a padillas. Thanks for the reply and again for the review.

Jason said...

James^^^,

No, the gold weave does not have a seam running down the back. However, the single weave does. But it is sewn in such a way that it is a flat wide seam that doesn't hurt your back when playing guard.

~J

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason,

Padilla appears to still have its Hybrid kimonos for sale. Any comments on them w.r.t. weight and breathability in relation to his other kimonos? Thanks!

David

Jim said...

Just recieved my Padilla Gold Weave. My other Gi is a OTM(On The Mat) and is also made of GoldWeave material. The seams, stitching and reinforced areas are better on the Padilla. The Padilla is a thicker heavier material than the OTM. Both are equally soft. The arms are a bit wider on the Padilla than the OTM. The third loop on the pants make for a great fit. Overall the Padilla is great GI and a great buy.

Unknown said...

Thanks alot for the extensive review.I promptly went and bought one and I have to agree its great and for 80 bucks for such quality u cant go wrong and great cust. service.

Anonymous said...

Great review - just bought one.

brookgo said...

I am a bit curious as to what sizes everyone here ordered, what is your height and weight, and how did the gi fit?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Jason,

Great review. After reading it I sent Joe an email with a few questions on purchasing as this looks like a really solid gi and a great value.

Just curious on a few things:

1)What's your take on how these will fit leaner guys? I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs.

2) Has anyone had any problems with ripping the pants area with these gis? I'm contantly doing that when I've got sidecontrol and spreading my knees apart to establish a solid base. The pants rip in the ass or the crotch usually where the stiching is.

Thanks a bunch for the review and any advice that you have on the above.


Chris

Anonymous said...

Friday, May 9, 2008

Dear Mr. Clark,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my e-mails about the Pedilla & Son gi's, and also making recommendation to also look at Sirius gi's for Gold Weave for Black colour fabrics.

After is is said and done, I believe that I will purchase 1 of each from both companies. Over time, I should be able to decide for myself which one I like best for future purchases.

Given the decline in the US Dollars, it doesn't make sense to purchase foreign made items when US made is just as good and if not better than the foreign variety. The argument for buying foreign made Gi's is no longer valid by way of price and quality.

Thanks again, Mr. Clark. It's very kind of you to take the time to reply.

Yours,

Peter K.

Anonymous said...

Great uniform! I ordered one after reading your review. I got it a few days ago and after shrinking it fits perfect. Looks like it will last a long time...

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great review and pics. I agree with the commenter who said this review should be the template for other reviews. I'd like to read similar reviews on judo gis suitable for both sports.

Jason said...

To the above anonymous poster,

Thanks for the input. The cross over capability of gis is a prime market in my opinion. Padilla and Sons, whether they know it or not, are the cutting edge of fulfilling this market void. More BJJ players are taking up Judo, more Judokas are taking up BJJ; a gi meeting the the specific requirements of both sports is more economical for the dual sport player. Can a middle ground be reached? Weight, collar, cut, dimensions? Time will tell.

As for me, I wear my Padilla & Sons Single Weave (not Gold Weave) to Judo competitions. But I also bring my Judogi in case the officials object to my first choice.

Anonymous said...

Fuji Gis seems to have a very good reputation and, in fact, are not cheap spin offs.

Check this out:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/fuji-bjj-gi-review-660848/

They seem to be a bargain for their price.

Jason said...

To the above anonymous poster:

Thanks for posting. Let me clarify my point:

I said that Fuji makes A cheap judo gi and A cheap bjj gi. And, that the company is a spinoff from Isami. Are all Fuji gis cheap? I don't know, and I didn't say that they all were. The point was that they have a low end option if you want one. Perhaps my original post should've been more clearly worded.

Most gi companies will offer a range of gis to fit to a broader market. Mizuno's judo gis range in price from $79 - $499 (USD). Fuji makes judo gis ranging from $59 - $139 (USD)and jiu-jitsu gis that start at $120.

Some guys in my judo club wear the Fuji single weave judo gi ($59). A.K.A., the "cheap" Fuji judo gi. In my opinion, these gis are cut too big and made out of thin material. They never seem to last long in the dojo. Plus, their cut is not very good for BJJ and guard work. It's a great starter gi for an uncommitted person. But if that's a reason to buy it, I can find the same person an even cheaper starter gi: http://hsujudo.com (sizes 3 - 5).

Regardless of which company you buy a cheap single weave judo gi from, it will be a waste of money if you are already training regularly. You're better off paying a few dollars more for a better gi that will last you longer. But don't buy a gi that costs $120+. That's getting ridiculous.

Jason

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jason...Fuji just doesn't make judo Gis they also make true-cut BJJ Kimonos. Many websites carry them including hatashita sports, budovideos, NHB gear, etc... They start at around $70, which is a great price. Look it up and see what I'm talking about. These kimonos are reinforced to meet the needs of BJJ players.

Jason said...

^^^ When I was originally asked about Fuji gis my mind automatically assumed that the poster was referring to the Fuji single weave judo gi. I guess that I jumped to conclusions when I shouldn't have. Since then, you and others have told me about Fuji's BJJ gis. The do have some models that fit into the under $100 price range - which is great. But, my opinion can't really go further than that until I get my hands on one. If they under $100 gis are made well, then that's great! We need more gis under $100 that aren't pieces of crap. Maybe one of these days somebody will train with me that has one and I can take it for a test drive.

Thanks for educating me on the Fuji BJJ gis!

~Jason

Anonymous said...

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/fuji-bjj-gi-review-660848/

That's the review on the FUJI. The Padilla and sons sounds like a great Kimono fo r the price too. I recently purchased a fuji but haven't rolled in it yet. It seems very sturdy and i'm sure i'll love it. HCK may also be another brand if you're looking for a single weave under $100 (i've heard good and bad tings about them though).

Lee Cunningham said...

Have you ever compared the Padilla and Sons to the Gameness Gi's? I was thinking about buying either a Gameness or a P&S.

Unknown said...

Thx so much for an awesome review!

I'm going to open a email thread with the Master Maker Joe - to see if I can get sorted.. I am 6'4" and *cough* a touch over 300 pounds.

I bought a cleap a$$ blitz gi just to getme on the road about 3 months ago - its already struggling...
Thanks again bro - you rock!

Al

Anonymous said...

I recently was in the market for a new gi. I've done quite a bit of research not only for quality but price. (I'm broke) I finally decided that for quality vs price that Howard couldn't be beat. I wasn't sure what size to go with so I called. The call back that I received was not only unhelpful but fairly condescending and rude. Also, shipping questions that I had as far as cost weren't even addressed. I can appreciate price but is it really necessary to have terrible customer service? Just because people will keep buying due to your quality/price, that's no excuse for rudeness. That being the case I called Padilla and Sons(the next best on my list). I left a message and Joe himself called me back promptly. He was extremely helpful, very very knowledgeable, and friendly. I could have been buying a thousand kimonos. We chatted like old friends for probably 20 minutes. Not only that but he shipped my gi that Monday(I called on Saturday). From
the reviews that I read, his gis are the best bar-none and with customer service like that I will never go anywhere else. To me, an extra $20 is worth it. And....the gi itself is worth every bit as well! Thanks Joe!

Unknown said...

One of my BJJ teammates recently purchased the Padilla & Sons gold weave. I'm extremely impressed with the quality and the cut of the material. I especially like that the top and the skirt are all one piece of fabric, rather than the usual two pieces stiched together. This increases durability and the life of the gi. This gi will be my next purchase.
The Fuji double weave has also come up in comments. I also have this gi and, while it's great for judo, it's less appropriate for jiu-jitsu. It's very baggy and extremely stiff. The Padilla & Sons is superior for jiu-jitsu, especially at this price point.

Props to Padilla & Sons for making a great gi for a great price.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the UK but these Gi look really interesting, as you say they can be used for both BJJ and Judo. You say you don't use the gold weave for judo comps, is this because the measurements would not meet with the necessary Gi dimensions or is it too heavy (sorry if I have missed anything you have already stated about this)? Do you still use the Gold Weave for judo training? Also, if I did decide to go for one of these Gi I don't know what the potential import costs would be. The other Gi which is reasonably priced in the UK is Tatami, have you any thoughts on these Gi?

Jason said...

This gi review is a bit dated. The 2010 and 2011 Gold Weaves are just as good for Judo as the Single Weaves nowadays.

If you decide to order a Single Weave from P&S this month, call and check first for availability. The Single Weaves sell out the fastest, but the Gold Weaves are the best in my opinion.

Joe will return your email/call. Check with him in regards to international shipments.

Regards,
~J

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason
I'm from New Zealand and bought 2 P & S gold weaves based on your review. The difference in quality in their construction and fabric compared to my Atama Gold Weaves is a shock. Granted they do have a different cut, the jacket skirt seems to be quite long which as a fashion statement didn't seem "cool" to me at first - short skirts, narrow sleeves and wide shoulders to accentuate the torso triangle shape seems to be in vogue. However when rolling I find the skirts don't splay open when my belt becomes undone like my shorter skirt gi's. The skirt seems to hug me as well - probably something to do with the quality of the fabric. The black one seems to be a little fluffier and a little hotter to roll in than my blue one.
Anyway thanks for the review - they were worth every cent.