Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dark Horse BJJ - Longmont, Colorado


A very good and close friend of mine, and a Saulo Ribeiro black belt - Matt Jubera (center of pic as a new brown belt), has opened up his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy in Longmont, Colorado. The academy is called Dark Horse Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and is co-owned with a fellow BJJ black belt, Andrew Dudderar.


Matt is a phenomenal BJJ competitor and instructor. He is a 2008 and 2009 Brown Belt Pan-Am gold medalist. After his victory at the 2009 Pan-Ams, Saulo promoted him to black belt.


I have personally known Matt for several years. I first met him through the University of Michigan BJJ Club. And, it was Matt who convinced me to join him at Saulo and Xande's academy. It was also Matt who helped me pursue Judo training. He was already a Judo brown belt from the infamous Metro Fight Club. When I expressed interest in training Judo to further my BJJ, Matt and I both joined the Eastern Michigan University Judo Club. He helped me obtain my Judo brown belt and together we had some good times chucking one another and others around the mats. He moved to Colorado and got his Judo black belt (and Olympic quality Judo training!) and I moved to Iowa and got mine.


Matt's love for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and all forms of grappling (Wrestling, Sambo, Judo, etc.) runs deep. He is very analytical and extremely intelligent. His eye for detail is superbly refined, and he possesses a very deep and innate understanding of jiu-jitsu that is far beyond my own and many of his peers. Through his teaching abilities he is somehow able to communicate seemingly complex aspects of jiu-jitsu to beginners and advanced students alike.


Please visit http://www.bjjdarkhorse.com/ and check out the academy's website. If you're ever in his neck of the woods you have to drop in to train with him. Trust me, you will not be disappointed and you will leave with a deeper understanding of the game. Matt didn't approve me to say this on here, but as a friend of his he must honor what I am about to say... If you go visit Matt at Dark Horse BJJ, tell them that you read about them on Smashpass and they will give you a 10% discount on your first month's tuition! You heard it here first!


FYI, I plan to go visit Matt and his new academy shortly after the new year. Seth (on the left in the above pic) will also be there.
~J